Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Garage Sale Find!

Okay, so a few weeks ago I read on Craigslist about a garage sale with antique quilts...........I'm a sucker for old quilts. My grandma who passed away this month was an AMAZING quilter - made hundreds in her 94 years of life. I have started many, but never finished ONE! How embarrassing is that? Somewhere along the line I either get bored, or intimidated. Years ago I started a red & white quilt, inspired by the quilt in Monica & Rachel's apartment on Friends (the early years). lol.

Back to the garage sale. So, I made it to the sale, about an hour+ after it started. I think the kids didn't sleep well the night before, and I was having a hard time getting out of the house early. I get to the garage sale, to find not much left or cool, old - as in barn wood buffet table from New England 1800s, stuff from all over the country (or at least that's what the guy said!!) marked as "SOLD". It's probably a good thing I was late. What do I really need anyway? Nothing.
So......I spot the quilts, The first one I see says $5. REALLY, $5?? I grab it. Then my tired eyes start seeing $5 on more, really big tags. So........I pile up and go to pay. OOPS.

The first quilt DID say $5. The others said $125, $75, etc. How embarrassing.
I bought the $5 and left. :)

Here she is:
The tag said it is from the early 1900s. I think I was drawn to the red & white part.....which goes back to the "Friends" quilt in progress. :)

Today I'm taking Malia & Alex to see "Nanny McPhee Returns" this afternoon with my Sister and her kids (who are kind enough to go with us - they are mid-teens to early 20 year olds). It should be fun. Ella gets to spend some time with Grandma.
Have a great day!
~Linda


No comments: